Sunday, March 21, 2010

Introductions all around

I'm Norah.

I'm a 20 year old university student who lives with her mom, her brother, her golden retriever and two cats. My parents are divorced, I owe 750$ to VISA that I don't have money to pay off, and I adore books. I work at a shoe store. Right now I have a boyfriend. I don't know if I love him, or if I will, and I'm unsure where I stand with my ex. I have had friends with benefits, made out with girls, watched entire seasons of TV in a day, and have known true love. I value honesty above all else. I can count my real friends on one hand. I am a procrastinator, I love to cook, and I hate Brussels sprouts. My idols are Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn. I don't know what I want to do with my life but I know that wherever I go, and whatever I do, I will never be a sedentary, settled down person. I want to see the world, and I've been to Europe, North America, and the Caribbean. Soon, I'm going to Greece. I love history, shoes and coffee. I am not sure if I believe in God, but I know that sometimes when life becomes difficult I talk and the universe seems to listen, and care.

Even though I know all this, I'm still completely stumped by a very simple question.

Who am I?

Here's the goal of this blog: when I'm old, I want a detailed compilation of my twenties. I want to know what I did, where I went, what I thought about, who I loved, where I worked and who I was.

It seems that some people lose where they come from as they age. Certainly, they have ideas of themselves, clouded and changed through years of memory, but who they used to be is lost. Who were the average, everyday people of the 90's? Who were we before real worries and responsibilities, before parents or TV or magazines told us what was expected of us? Lose 20 pounds in five days, this shampoo makes me beautiful, be elegant, graceful, beautiful, thin, wild in the sack, a career woman, have multiple orgasms, children, how to get married as quickly as possible, if you sleep with someone outside of a relationship you're a whore etc...

With all these outer influences and rules to living, how are we ever supposed to know who we are?

I'm terrified this is all the future will have to remember us by - a time capsule filled with our flaws, fashion, and face-value selves.

I've heard that a person's twenties are supposed to be the best years of their lives. This is where we grow and change, sometimes for the best and sometimes for the worst. I intend to be completely truthful, share everything of importance and interest.

I want to remember who I was, how I changed, and what I became.

I want to know the detailed life of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment